Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Westhoff in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Westhoff

 
 
Westhoff Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
1. Westhoff Marker
Inscription.  

Founded 1906 as Bello ("Beautiful View"), tent city of workers building Texas and New Orleans Railroad. Renamed 1909 for Wm. Westhoff (August 8, 1831 - March 19, 1911), local merchant and political leader.

For a time town had 3 cotton gins, 13 stores. It remains a farming - ranching - uranium leasing center, inhabited by many ethnic groups.
 
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5769.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceScience & MedicineSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 19, 1906.
 
Location. 29° 11.683′ N, 97° 28.246′ W. Marker is in Westhoff, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 87 and Houston Avenue (County Highway 240), on the left when traveling west on U.S. 87. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Westhoff TX 77994, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George Lord (approx. 0.4 miles away); Charles A. Schlinke (approx. 10.6 miles away); Dr. William Watt White
Westhoff Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
2. Westhoff Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 10.6 miles away); George Washington Davis (approx. 10.9 miles away); Concrete College (1865 - 1881) (approx. 11.1 miles away); Old Smiley Lake and Townsite (approx. 11.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Smiley (approx. 11.2 miles away); Smiley United Methodist Church (approx. 11˝ miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Westhoff, TX.
A town and depot were surveyed near the northwestern border of the county on this route. Early settlers called the new community Bello, but the name was rejected by the postal department because of its supposed resemblance to Bells, the name of a community in Grayson County. Choosing a new name proved controversial, however, and some residents continued calling the community Bello until the summer of 1909, by which time the town was officially named Westhoff, in honor of William Westhoff, Sr., the pioneer settler of Upper Meyersville.  Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Westhoff Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
3. The view of the Westhoff Marker from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.
Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 9, 2021