Near Seguin in Guadalupe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
El Capote Ranch
The founder of El Capote Ranch was Jose De La Baume (1731-1834), a French army officer who came to North America with the Marquis De Lafayette and fought in the American Revolution. He later joined the Spanish Army and for his services received title in 1806 to 27,000 acres of Texas land - the original El Capote Ranch. De La Baume's grant was reaffirmed after Mexico won independence from Spain in 1821.
Virginia-born Michael Erskine (1794-1862) acquired the property in 1840. He raised cattle here and drove his herds to California and New Orleans. Since the San Antonio to Gonzales Road forded the Guadalupe River on El Capote land, many travelers passed this way. The Erskine family hosted several eminent visitors, including William Bollaert (1840), Ferdinand Roemer (1845-1847), and Frederick Law Olmstead (1857).
After the Erskine family sold the ranch in the 1870s, part of the land was deeded to Edith Kermit Carow, the second wife of Theodore Roosevelt. During the Spanish-American War, Roosevelt rode an El Capote horse, "Seguin", at the Battle of San Juan Hill (1898). The ranch was acquired in 1897 by Judge Leroy Gilbert
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1412.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic Americans • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, Spanish-American. A significant historical year for this entry is 1806.
Location. 29° 30.018′ N, 97° 45.405′ W. Marker is near Seguin, Texas, in Guadalupe County. Marker is at the intersection of Capote Road (County Highway 466) and Guadalupe Hills Lane, on the right when traveling west on Capote Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seguin TX 78155, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wilson Potteries (approx. 3.6 miles away); William B. Fleming (approx. 3.7 miles away); Former Site of Dowdy School (approx. 5.2 miles away); Leesville Baptist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Leesville School (approx. 6.6 miles away); Rev. Alejo Hernández (approx. 6.6 miles away); Gonzales - San Antonio Road (approx. 8.3 miles away); 1835 Attack at Sandies Water Hole (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seguin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 156 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 24, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.