Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Warrenton in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Warrenton

 
 
Warrenton Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 15, 2007
1. Warrenton Marker
With a side view of the John Marshall Monument.
Inscription.  The first court house for Fauquier County was built in 1760 on two acres of land belonging to Richard Henry Lee. The settlement that sprang up in its vicinity was first known as Fauquier Court House and under that name was laid off as a town to contain eight acres, in a survey made by James Routt, Dec. 4, 1790.
Reverse side:
The court house settlement was established as a municipality under the name of Warrenton, Jan. 5, 1810, and a survey was made May 8, 1811, by which seventy-one acres wre included in the town limits. Warrenton was incorporated by act of assembly, Jan. 16, 1816.
 
Erected by Fauquier Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1783.
 
Location. 38° 42.819′ N, 77° 47.723′ W. Marker is in Warrenton, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Business U.S. 15) and Court Street, on the right on Main Street. Located on the front courtyard of what is now the Juvenile and
Warrenton Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, January 18, 2008
2. Warrenton Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Domestic Relations District Court. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Warrenton VA 20188, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Marshall (here, next to this marker); World War II Memorial (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Warrenton (within shouting distance of this marker); Concrete Bench (within shouting distance of this marker); John Singleton Mosby (within shouting distance of this marker); Lafayette’s Stepping Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); "In Honor and Remembrance" (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Fauquier County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warrenton.
 
More about this marker. Monuments to John C. Marshall and the World War II Veterans of Fauquier County are next to the marker. The Old Court House itself is across Court Street from the marker.
 
The Fauquier County Court House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 16, 2007
3. The Fauquier County Court House
John Marshall Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 15, 2007
4. John Marshall Monument
The rather imposing statue of John Marshall greets those who enter the present day Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court. The base reads “John Marshall 1755–1835 Chief Justice 1801–1835.” “Frontiersman Soldier Lawyer” “Statesman Diplomat Jurist”.
John Marshall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 15, 2007
5. John Marshall
1958 bronze by sculptor Bryant Baker.
World War II Memorial on the Courthouse Grounds image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 15, 2007
6. World War II Memorial on the Courthouse Grounds
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,725 times since then and 86 times this year. Last updated on February 25, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on November 23, 2013, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=167422

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 7, 2022