Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sutherland Springs in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Sutherland Springs

 
 
Sutherland Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 21, 2021
1. Sutherland Springs Marker
Inscription.  

Outstanding early-day Southwest Texas Health Spa. Had 27 flavors of mineral water, from over 100 hot and cold springs. (Indians used curative waters here before white settlement.) Resort was founded in 1848 by Dr. John Sutherland (1792-1867), who had been at the Alamo when Santa Anna came on Feb. 23, 1836, but was sent out by Travis to summon aid. Sutherland built plantation home on bluff west of the Cibolo, across from wooded valley of springs. Patients boarded in his home, homes of neighbors, or rented cottages at the springs. Most common mineral waters were White Sulphur, Black Sulphur, Hume Sour. Hot springs were especially popular in treating Rheumatic Diseases.

Sutherland Springs was stagecoach stop on Old San Antonio Road. In 1854 Dr. Sutherland had a British teacher lay off square and town as seen today. In 1860, when Wilson County was created, this was county seat. Reconstruction Judge Wm. Longsworth demanded $250 to keep county seat here, and failing to get it hauled court records to Lodi, later to Floresville.

In 1909, "New Sutherland Springs", on lowland acres formerly held by Gideon Lee, had a 52-room hotel,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the largest concrete pool in south, church encampments. Floods in 1913 made that resort a ghost town.
 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5154.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence. A significant historical date for this entry is February 23, 1836.
 
Location. 29° 16.443′ N, 98° 3.514′ W. Marker is in Sutherland Springs, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street (Old Hwy 87) and 14th Street, on the left when traveling west on 4th Street (Old Hwy 87). The marker is located in front of the Sutherland Springs Community Building on a small pedestal. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 411 4th Street, Sutherland Springs TX 78161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sutherland Springs School Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Pat Higgins Grass Farm (approx. one mile away); Sutherland Springs Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Whitehall (approx. 3 miles away); Polley Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Linne Oil Field (approx. 3.4 miles away); Barker-Huebinger Homestead (approx. 4.8 miles away); Bridge at McAlister Crossing (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sutherland Springs.
Sutherland Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 21, 2021
2. Sutherland Springs Marker

 
Also see . . .
1. Sutherland Springs, TX.
Patrons from all over the United States and several foreign countries regularly visited the "Saratoga of the South," staying at the fifty-two-room Hotel Sutherland and other lesser enterprises and reading the weekly newspaper, entitled the Health Resort. The springs also became a popular destination for camp meetings and religious revivals. One such revival in 1910 attracted as many as 2,500 worshippers.  Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on February 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

2. Sutherland, John, Jr. (1792–1867).
Sutherland moved to San Antonio, Texas, in December 1835; there the Alamo garrison hired his medical services. He was injured in a fall from his horse and could not fight, so Col. William B. Travis sent him to bring help from Gonzales. Sutherland returned with a contingent of men only to see the funeral pyres; among the dead was George's son, William. Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on February 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Sutherland Springs Marker and Memorial image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 21, 2021
3. The Sutherland Springs Marker and Memorial
The white crosses next to the marker are a Memorial for the 26 victims of the 2017 shooting at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=167490

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024