Martinsburg in Berkeley County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Adam Stephen House 309 East John Street
Washington Heritage Trail
Adam Stephen (1720-1791) had a close acquaintance with George Washington through their association with Lord Fairfax and from their military involvements from the French & Indian War through the American Revolution. Stephen was present with Washington at Fort Necessity in 1754, served as second in command of the Virginia militia, and was responsible for troops, at various times, at Fort Loudoun in Winchester, Fort Cumberland, Fort Ligonier, and Fort Pitt. Adam Stephen ran successfully against George Washington for the House of Burgesses seat from Frederick County, Virginia, in 1761. Later, Stephen was promoted in 1777 to the rank of major-general in the Continental Army during the Revolution. His daughter, Ann, was married in 1780 to Alexander Spottswood Dandridge, a second cousin of Martha Washington and a brother-in-law of Patrick Henry.
The Adam Stephen House is a fine example of late colonial stone architecture. The land on which the house is situated was acquired by Adam Stephen in 1770 as part of a 255-acre tract of land. In 1773, he purchased an adjacent tract of 563 acres, dividing the land into lots and selling them
In 1959, William Evers, a former town resident living in California, gave the property to the city of Martinsburg, and the General Stephen Memorial Association was formed to restore and furnish the house. Restoration work began in the mid-1960s, and the house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. The smokehouse and laundry building behind Adam Stephen House were reconstructed in 1976 as an American bicentennial project.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the West Virginia, Washington Heritage Trail series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1754.
Location. 39° 27.277′ N, 77° 57.611′ W. Marker is in Martinsburg, West Virginia, in Berkeley County. Marker is on East John Street east of South Water Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 East John Street, Martinsburg WV 25401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Triple Brick Museum (a few steps from this marker); Triple Brick Building 311-313 East John Street (a few steps from this marker); Adam Stephen House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Adam Stephen (within shouting distance of this marker); General Adam Stephen House and Triple Brick Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); First Electrified House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Stone House (about 500 feet away); The Story of Two Bridges: The Colonnade Bridge and the East Burke Street Bridge (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Martinsburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on February 26, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 17, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.