Martinsburg in Berkeley County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Civil War Martinsburg
Focus of Contention
In 1861, from late in May through June, Col. Thomas J. Jackson and his volunteers shut down the railroad, burning bridges and rolling stock. Jackson was here again in October 1862, and on his orders the roundhouse and other buildings were destroyed.
Here in the corner of Martinsburg, the courthouse and other buildings around the square are closely associated with the war. The Berkeley County Courthouse served as headquarters for the provost marshal after Union Gen. Robert Patterson’s army occupied the town on July 3, 1861. Pennsylvania soldiers scribbled in the court record books during the occupation. Belle Boyd, the famous Southern spy, later claimed that she was confined in the courthouse overnight after killing a Federal soldier who invaded her home on Queen Street and insulted her mother. In March 1862, Union forces again occupied
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1862.
Location. 39° 27.377′ N, 77° 57.847′ W. Marker is in Martinsburg, West Virginia, in Berkeley County. Marker is at the intersection of East King Street (U.S. 11) and South Queen Street (State Highway 45) on East King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Martinsburg WV 25401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to the City of Martinsburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Boarman House (within shouting distance of this marker); Avenue of Flags Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Joseph's Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Market House (about 500 feet away); Girlhood Home of Belle Boyd (about 600 feet away); 224 - 226 West King Street (about 600 feet away); Old Methodist Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Martinsburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,069 times since then and 77 times this year. Last updated on February 27, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on August 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on August 28, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.