Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prosper in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Walnut Grove Presbyterian Church

 
 
Walnut Grove Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 24, 2021
1. Walnut Grove Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  

Organized in 1846 by the Rev. J.N. Vance, this fellowship was first called Union Congregation. In 1858 the name was changed to Walnut Grove. The first church building on this property, donated by D.M. Crutchfield, was erected in 1869. Camp meetings were often held on the church grounds. Today the congregation worships in this frame Country Church, built in 1886 and remodeled in 1968.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6218.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
 
Location. 33° 14.248′ N, 96° 44.152′ W. Marker is in Prosper, Texas, in Collin County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East First Street and North Custer Road. The marker is located in the northwest section of the Walnut Grove Cemetery by the pavilion. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Prosper TX 75078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scott Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Lee Lodge No. 435, A.F & A.M. (approx. 3.6 miles away); Prosper United Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Prosper (approx. 3.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Prosper (approx. 3.8 miles away); Site of Buckner (approx. 4.2 miles away); Buckner Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Site of Rock Hill (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prosper.
 
Regarding Walnut Grove Presbyterian Church. The old Walnut Grove Presbyterian Church building was torn down. The arched windows were installed in the Foote Baptist Church building at Chestnut Square in McKinney. Source: Collin County History
 
Walnut Grove Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 24, 2021
2. Walnut Grove Presbyterian Church Marker
The view of the Walnut Grove Presbyterian Church and Marker by the Pavilion image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 24, 2021
3. The view of the Walnut Grove Presbyterian Church and Marker by the Pavilion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=167918

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024