McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Collin County Farm
As early as 1858 Collin County had a system for providing relief to its indigent citizens. This property was acquired in 1886 and became known as the County Farm. Structures were built over the years to house the residents, who helped maintain the farm. In the 1920s the authorities began housing county prisoners here in special guarded facilities. Also located on the farm was a paupers' cemetery, which is still maintained by the county. The Collin County Farm ceased operations in the 1950s.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 949.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 33° 11.092′ N, 96° 39.798′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of Hardin Road and Chancellor Lane on Hardin Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Collin County Poor Farm (here, next to this marker); Williams Cemetery (approx. George McGarrah Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Buckner Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of Buckner (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Howell House (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Beverly-Harris House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Davis House (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.