McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This site was first used as a cemetery in 1851 when property owner John R. Jones buried his infant son here. The land was later donated as a public burial ground for the pioneer settlers of the surrounding Wilmeth settlement by Mary Virginia Dunn McLarry and her father Robert A. McLarry. The earliest marked graves are those of a brother and sister, Henry E. and Adella M. Hall, who died in 1870. Also buried here is J.B. Wilmeth, for whom the community was named. The site is now used by descendants of the pioneer area families.
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6182.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 33° 14.373′ N, 96° 37.673′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of Bloomdale Road and McLarry Drive, on the right when traveling east on Bloomdale Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Muse Academy (approx. 2.1 miles away); Estes HouseJames Calvin Rhea House (approx. 2˝ miles away); Davis House (approx. 2˝ miles away); Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Site of Buckner (approx. 2.7 miles away); Buckner Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); John S. and Rachel W. Heard House (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.