Near Kirvin in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Buried closeby are two kinsmen who share notable roles in the history of the South : John Bonum Lennard and his son-in-law, Minyard Hickerson Harriss.
John Lennard was a member of the convention that withdrew Alabama from the Union in 1861. After losing two sons in the war for Southern Independence, he came to Texas. John Lennard and L.R. Wortham in 1867 deeded land for the first streets in the village of Woodland.
After serving as a boy in the Alabama "Buttermilk Cavalry" Minyard Harriss followed and became the guiding spirit of Woodland. He deeded land in 1891 for nearby Shiloh Church. In 1911 as commander of the W.L. Moody camp of United Confederate Veterans he organized the Sons of Confederate Veterans in Freestone County.
(Dedicated by SCV Camp 1012, 1994)
Erected by Sons of Confederate Veterans.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 31° 47.022′ N, 96° 20.57′ W. Marker is near Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wortham TX 76693, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woodland Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Woodland College for Boys (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church and School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sessions Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Shanks Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Cade Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); United Methodist Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); City of Wortham (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kirvin.
Also see . . . Woodland, TX (Freestone County).
The cemetery was named Woodland Cemetery, and the earliest grave was laid in 1862. Woodland College for Boys was established in 1863 on land donated by Wortham. The college had an enrollment of more than 300 students; it became a grade school with authorization by the Texas legislature in 1866 and was renamed Woodland Academy. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on March 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.