Near Lorton in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1982 by the League of Women Voters of the Fairfax Area. (Marker Number E-61.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Civil Rights. In addition, it is included in the Women's Suffrage 🗳️ series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1917.
Location. 38° 41.839′ N, 77° 15.365′ W. Marker is near Lorton, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Ox Road (Virginia Route 123) and Workhouse Way, on the right when traveling north on Ox Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lorton VA 22079, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Irma Clifton (within shouting distance of this marker); Prisoners at the Workhouse (about Development of a Progressive-Era Model Penal System (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Occoquan Workhouse (about 600 feet away); Lorton Nike Missile Site (approx. 0.7 miles away); Occoquan River Bridges (approx. 0.9 miles away); Historic Occoquan (approx. 0.9 miles away); Town of Occoquan (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lorton.
More about this marker. The marker was originally erected on Rt 123 at the entrance to the Occoquan Regional Park. The Lorton Prison complex was immediately north of the marker on both sides of the road. It was removed when work began on realigning and widening of Rt 123 and eventually re-erected at the Water Works north of where the prison stood. The marker was once again relocated 0.2 miles south of its previous location at the intersection of Ox Rd & Workhouse Rd (38.69967N, 77.25659W). It is said that when originally erected in 1982, this was the first marker in the state to recognize civil rights and women’s rights.
Regarding Occoquan Workhouse. The Occoquan Workhouse, and later the Lorton Reformatory, was a District of Columbia operated prison built 19 miles from Washington in Virginia to house prisoners from Washington, DC. Opened in 1910, it was connected to Washington first by its own railroad (the Lorton and Occoquan Railroad, 1911–1977, between the prison and a junction with the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac), and then by U.S. Route 1 and finally by Interstate 95. The telephone exchange in the Lorton area was and still provides toll-free “local” service to and from Washington. Washington city buses ran frequent daily express service from the city (non-stop via I-95) during visiting
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . History of the Lorton Prison Complex. (Submitted on May 19, 2007.)
Additional keywords. 19th Ammendment to the Constitution
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 6,615 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on March 5, 2021, by Nancy B. Kennedy of Hopewell, New Jersey. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 19, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4. submitted on February 2, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker and its current surroundings. • Can you help?