Kettering in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mad River Road / Road from Cunningham’s to Mad River
The first overland route between Dayton and Cincinnati was cut by Daniel Cooper in 1795 to provide access to the new town of Dayton, located at the mouth of the Mad River in the Symmes Purchase. The survey, entered into the record by Cooper and Dr. John Hole, extended Harmer's Trace north from near Cunningham's Station on the Mill Creek to the mouth of the Mad River, establishing the earliest road between Cincinnati and Dayton. This five-mile segment between David Road and State Route 725 is the last remaining traceable portion retaining this name. Cooper, a miller, was instrumental in the early settlement of Dayton, and Dr. Hole, the first physician in Montgomery County, established his cabin in 1796 on this part of Mad River Road.
Be it remembered that pursuant to an order of Court to Daniel Cooper, Daniel Griffing and John Hole on a petition of more than twelve citizens of the County aforesaid, the following survey of a road in the said County was made and reported, to wit, Beginning at Cunningham's Station, thence along the old road four miles and a half, thence North eleven miles, thence North twenty five degrees East
Erected 2001 by the Ohio BiCentennial Commission the Longaberger Company. (Marker Number 2-57.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1795.
Location. 39° 40.775′ N, 84° 10.255′ W. Marker is in Kettering, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Mad River Road. marker is located in the edge of David Cemetery on Mad River Road, just south of West David Road, off Far Hills Avenue (St Rt 48). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4600 Mad River Rd, Dayton OH 45429, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cassano’s Pizza King® (approx. 1.9 miles away); Zion Memorial ChurchVictory Oak Knoll Hill Memorial (approx. 2½ miles away); Historic Blanchard Avenue (approx. 2.7 miles away); Dayton-Wright Airplane Factory (approx. 2.8 miles away); Delco-Light and Frigidaire (approx. 2.8 miles away); Moraine Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Sugar Creek Baptist Church Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away).
More about this marker. Identical Marker, located at 7869 Mad River Rd., Dayton, Ohio
39.636872 N 84.216769 W
1. two markers
there are indeed TWO markers. The other is referenced as nearby. Both are coded with the same number. Both are OHS bronze markers.
— Submitted February 24, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio.
Additional keywords. Number 2 of two identical markers
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,106 times since then and 164 times this year. Last updated on March 6, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1. submitted on January 16, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 2. submitted on November 6, 2020, by Robin Latoski of Kettering, Ohio. 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 16, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 6. submitted on February 24, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.