Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sunbury in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Morris

 
 
Fort Morris Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2, 2008
1. Fort Morris Marker
Inscription.  Erected at the beginning of the Revolutionary War, to guard the Port of Sunbury and St. John`s Parish. Fort Morris was an enclosed earthwork in the shape of an irregular quadrangle. Surrounded by a parapet and moat. It contained a parade of about an acres. The fort was defended by more than 25 pieces of ordnance of varied size. It was named in honor of Captain Morris, who commanded the company of artillery by which it was first garrisoned early in 1776.

Colonel John McIntosh commanded the garrison on November 25, 1778, when Col. L.V. Fuser, with 500 British ground troops, supported by armed ships in the Medway river, landed at Sunbury and demanded the immediate surrender of Fort Morris. Colonel McIntosh, with 127 Continental troops, some militia and citizens of Sunbury, less than 200 men in all, replied, "Come and Take It !"

The enemy retreated to the South, and Continental troops held Fort Morris until January 9, 1779, when it was captured by British forces.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-12A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraPatriots & PatriotismWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 9, 1786.
 
Location. 31° 45.672′ N, 81° 16.955′ W. Marker is in Sunbury, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is on Martin Road, in the median. Located at the visitor center for Fort Morris/Sunbury Historic Site. The center is located off Fort Morris Road, at the end of the Colonels Island Highway (Ga Route 38). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Famous Sunbury "Masonic" Oak (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Sunbury Road (approx. half a mile away); Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sunbury (approx. 0.6 miles away); Saint John's Lodge Number Six (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Dead Town Of Sunbury (approx. 0.7 miles away); Colonel's Island (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sunbury.
 
Regarding Fort Morris.
Fort Morris Marker and Fort's Front Entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2008
2. Fort Morris Marker and Fort's Front Entrance
Fort Morris State Park

The Fort Morris site was originally a Guale Indian village, closely tied to the settlements and Spanish missions on nearby St. Catherine's Island. It was here, on February 21, 1734, that General James Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia, held the first Masonic meeting in the new British colony. The American Revolution brought considerable changes to the region. In 1776, delegates attending the Continental Congress recognized the strategic importance of having a fort to protect Georgia's middle coast from attack by the English navy. On a low bluff of the Medway River, near the important colonial seaport of Sunbury, a fort was constructed and garrisoned by 200 patriots. Fort Morris defended Georgia against the British again during the War of 1812, when it was known as Fort Defiance.
 
Fort Morris earthworks west side moat area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2, 2008
3. Fort Morris earthworks west side moat area
Fort Morris east side earthworks image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2, 2008
4. Fort Morris east side earthworks
Fort Morris east moat area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2, 2008
5. Fort Morris east moat area
Fort Morris, an earthworks profile image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2, 2008
6. Fort Morris, an earthworks profile
Front ( South ) View image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2, 2008
7. Front ( South ) View
Fort Morris' view of St Catherine Sound (Medway river) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2, 2008
8. Fort Morris' view of St Catherine Sound (Medway river)
Fort Morris Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 17, 2005
9. Fort Morris Marker
In 2005 the marker was accompanied by a Revolutionary War soldier.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,342 times since then and 57 times this year. Last updated on March 9, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   9. submitted on January 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=168258

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 2, 2023