Murfreesboro in Rutherford County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Stones River National Battlefield
The earthen walls in front of you are the remains of the largest earthen fortification built during the Civil War. The National Park Service has planted native grasses with deep root systems to prevent erosion and stabilize the works. Please help preserve Fortress Rosecrans by staying on the one-mile paved trail and boardwalks.
Fortress Rosecrans was named for Major General William S. Rosecrans, commander
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
Location. 35° 51.153′ N, 86° 24.717′ W. Marker is in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in Rutherford County. Marker is on Old Fort Street, 0.3 miles north of Overall Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1028 Old Fort Street, Murfreesboro TN 37129, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle at Stones River (a few steps from this marker); A Vast Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lunette Palmer (about 400 feet away); Fields of Fire (about 400 feet away); Toil and Mud (about 500 feet away); Covered by Cross Fires (approx. 0.2 miles away); I Never Saw Anything Like Them Before (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Citizen Soldiers (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murfreesboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 754 times since then and 95 times this year. Last updated on March 14, 2021, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on October 8, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on March 14, 2021, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on October 8, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.