Lubbock in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lubbock Women's Club
Starting in 1944, several women’s organizations met to coordinate their community improvement efforts. In February 1945, 22 groups became charter members of the Lubbock women’s club. After meeting at members’ homes, Texas Technological College and other sites, the club bought the former plains funeral home building as their headquarters in 1949. Built in 1941 by contractor J. J. McLoen, the two-story, brick veneer building has a full-façade porch and Doric columns. The club has made additions as it has grown, holding its own functions, hosting other events and serving its neighbors and community.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark
2013 by the Texas Historical Commission
Lubbock Women's Club
Colonial revival structure constructed 1941 as the Plains Funeral Home. Purchased 1949 by the Lubbock Women's Club for $50,000. Has since been used as a meeting place for the various women's organizations belonging to the club. The building stands prominently located in an area of the city's early growth and development. The member organizations
Erected 1979 by City of Lubbock, Urban Design and Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1941.
Location. 33° 35.083′ N, 101° 51.681′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is on West Broadway Street east of Avenue U, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2020 West Broadway Street, Lubbock TX 79401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bacon Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Mast/White Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Mast House (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Elizabeth's Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lubbock High School (approx. half a mile away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Methodist Church of Lubbock (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
Also see . . . Lubbock Women's Club. (Submitted on May 12, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 543 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on March 14, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on May 9, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 2. submitted on August 1, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on May 9, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on August 1, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 5. submitted on May 9, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 6. submitted on August 1, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.