Near Blessing in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Deming’s Bridge Community
The Deming's Bridge community grew up around a wooden bridge built over the Tres Palacios River at this site in 1857 for Edward A. Deming, owner of land along the west side of the stream. The crossing provided by Deming's Bridge became a natural gathering place for settlers of western Matagorda County.
Tres Palacios Baptist Church, site of many community activities, was established on the east side of the river. The Deming's Bridge Post Office opened in 1858, with Edwin A. Deming serving as postmaster until it was discontinued in 1866. Reinstated in 1872, the post office name was changed to Hawley in 1899. It closed again in 1903 when it was moved to the new settlement of Blessing (2 Mi W). A Masonic Hall, established in 1874, was also moved to Blessing after location of the railroad there caused a population shift.
Hawley Cemetery originated as a two-acre plot of land called Deming's Bridge Cemetery. Among the burials are the graves of brothers and noted cattle ranchers Abel Head "Shanghai" Pierce (1834-1900) and Jonathan Edwards Pierce (1839-1915). Jonathan Pierce donated land to enlarge the cemetery and was instrumental
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1203.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 28° 53.92′ N, 96° 10.824′ W. Marker is near Blessing, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker can be reached from Hawley Cemetery Road (County Highway 437) one mile north of State Highway 35. The marker is located in the western section of the Hawley Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bay City TX 77414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Walter “Pudge” Heffelfinger (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hawley Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Hawley Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Grimes Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Masonic Lodge #411 (approx. 3 miles away); Blessing Library Association (approx. 3.1 miles away); Blessing State Bank (approx. 3.1 miles away); St. Peter’s Catholic Church (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blessing.
Also see . . . Hawley, TX (Matagorda County).
Hawley, known earlier as Deming's Bridge, was on the Tres Palacios River a mile east of what is now State Highway 71 and three miles northeast of Blessing in western Matagorda County. At one time the Tres Palacios may have been navigable as far north as Deming's Bridge. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on March 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.