Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Collegeport in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Pilkington Slough Ranch

 
 
Pilkington Slough Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
1. Pilkington Slough Ranch Marker
Inscription.  

The Pilkington Slough Ranch, of the Collegeport Community, has been an area landmark for more than 100 years. The original owners of the bulk of this land were Daniel, Elias and Erastus Yeamans, three brothers who fought in the Texas War for Independence, Elias and Erastus died at the Battle of Goliad. The Yeamans family held the property until 1880, when noted cattleman Abel H. "Shanghai" Pierce and his brother, Jonathan E. Pierce, purchased it. By 1889, Jonathan was sole owner of this land. He soon established his headquarters on a site overlooking the Pilkington Slough, which was named for Dr. Samuel Pilkington, an early area physician. From the Pilkington House, one could view the mouth of the slough which forms a backwater on the eastern shore of the Tres Palacios Bay. The ranch was so named for its proximity to the Pilkington Slough.

Through the years, tenants lived and worked on these lands, which are well suited for cattle ranching and rice cultivation, these tenants included members of the Ackerman, Huitt, Jackson and Slone families. The property also served as a community gathering place, occasionally hosting worship
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
services, dances and other activities.

The Matagorda Land and Cattle Company acquired the ranch in 1970; it was sold to other owners in 2001. Today, the ranch remains a crucial link to early development of southwestern Matagorda County, reflecting the agricultural economy of the area and the spirit of the pioneering men and women who settled here.
 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15568.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 28° 42.441′ N, 96° 9.79′ W. Marker is near Collegeport, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is on Oyster Lake Road (County Highway 365) one mile south of Central Street (Farm to Market Road 1095), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Collegeport TX 77428, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church of Collegeport (approx. 1˝ miles away); Collegeport (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lions Pier (approx. 2.8 miles away); Palacios Preparatory School (approx. 2.8 miles away); Texas Baptist Encampment Grounds (approx. 2.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of Palacios
Pilkington Slough Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
2. Pilkington Slough Ranch Marker
(approx. 3 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Palacios (approx. 3 miles away); Kerry Duane Dale Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collegeport.
 
The front entrance to the Pilkington Slough Ranch image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
3. The front entrance to the Pilkington Slough Ranch
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=169081

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024