Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Battery L, 1st New York Light Artillery
of New York to commemorate
the detached men of Battery "E",
First N.Y. Lt. Artillery ser-
ving with "L" (Reynolds). - These
works were built and held by
Battery L, Lieutenant George
Beck commanding against as-
saults of infantry and artil-
lery during the second and third
days of July 1863.
This monument committed to
the care of a dear country
we were proud to
Erected 1891 by State of New York.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is July 2, 1863.
Location. 39° 49.235′ N, 77° 13.7′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Memorial is on Baltimore Pike (State Highway 97), on the right when traveling north. Located on East Cemetery Hill in Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 4th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Fifth New York Light Artillery (within shouting distance Second Volunteer Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); The Confederate Attack Towards This Position (within shouting distance of this marker); Artillery Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Major-General Winfield Scott Hancock (about 300 feet away); Battery B, First Pennsylvania Light Artillery (about 300 feet away); Battery B, Fourth U.S. Artillery (about 300 feet away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Battery L, 1st New York Light Artillery at Gettysburg.
Also see . . . Address of Major Breck. Text of dedication speech given for the monument on McPherson Ridge. Links at the bottom include a set of letters written by Lt. (later Major) George Breck during the war. (Submitted on March 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,150 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.