Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The U. S. Army established McPherson Barracks at a site appositely three miles n. of here in l867, but abandoned it in 1881. In 1885, the army bought 236 a. along the Georgia Central R. R. and began erecting a permanent post under the direction of engineer Capt. Joshua West Jacobs. It was officially named “Fort McPherson” on May 4. 1889, indicating a permanent Army Installation. The original garrison quadrangle of 42 buildings, built between 1889 and 1910, is listed on the National Register.
Fort McPherson has served as a general hospital command, war prison barracks, supply depot, and reception and separation center, and has been the home of major Army combat commands including Third U. S. Army and U. S. Army Forces command.
Erected 1987 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 060-172.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Military • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1823.
Location. 33° 42.77′ N, 84° 25.686′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Hardee Avenue SW and Haney Plaza, on the left when traveling north on Hardee Avenue SW. The marker is located on Fort McPherson, a restricted military installation. Visitors are required to register before entry, and photography is not permitted without prior permission. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kilpatrick’s Cavalry on the Newnan Stage Road (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Utoy Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Original Gas Street Light (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Wren’s Nest (approx. 1.8 miles away); Confederate Entrenchments: 1864 (approx. 2.1 miles away); East Point (approx. 2.4 miles away); Clayton’s Div., Lee’s A.C. (approx. 2.6 miles away); Battle of Utoy Creek (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,664 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on March 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on March 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2015. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.