Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Spicewood in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Maxey Cemetery

 
 
Maxey Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
circa 2013
1. Maxey Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Between 1855-1859, James Edward Maxey (1831-1908) moved from Arkansas to Bosque Co., Texas, with his mother, two sons and a daughter. During the Civil War James was a private in the frontier militia. By 1870, he moved his family to western Travis Co. near where the Pedernales River joins the Colorado. James’ three-year-old grandson, Alfred Maxey, died from a poisonous snake bite in 1873. On a shaded knoll on Walter Lee Maxey’s land, his was the first burial in Maxey (or Pleasant Grove) Cemetery. James was the first postmaster of the Mud post office in 1887. The nearby Pleasant Grove School operated until 1917, and the post office closed in 1934. James and ten family members are at rest here, along with two friends. The last burial dates from 1969.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2010

 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16952.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 30° 
Road to Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Larry McGinnis, March 29, 2021
2. Road to Cemetery
Cemetery and marker are located behind a restaurant that is closed. Gate to cemetery may be locked.
Click or scan to see
this page online
26.096′ N, 98° 2.8′ W. Marker is in Spicewood, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from Pace Bend Road N (County Highway 2322) south of Camp Chatauqua Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2002 Pace Bend Rd N, Spicewood TX 78669, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cox Springs School (approx. 5.8 miles away); Lohmans Crossing (approx. 6½ miles away); Hudson Bend (approx. 7.4 miles away); Site of Community of Nameless (approx. 9½ miles away); Rockvale (approx. 10.1 miles away); Anderson’s Mill (approx. 10.1 miles away); Henry Thomas Lodge, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 10.4 miles away); Smithwick Cemetery (approx. 10.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Mud, TX. Handbook of Texas. A post office was established in 1887 with James E. Maxey as postmaster. (Submitted on March 29, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 63 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=169708

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 30, 2021