Eastport in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Old Farmhouse
This century-old farmhouse is one of the only reminders of the agrarian past of Eastport. Yet, in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, horse racing and farming were the economic mainstays. As late as 1798, there were only two buildings on all of Horn Point: a house and a blacksmith shop.
In the 1800s, most of the land was parceled out to small farmers who grew vegetables and fruit for sustenance and raised livestock for sale in Baltimore. This home was built for the Burns family in the 1890s and is a typical farmhouse of the period. Architecturally, the house appears as it once did, although it is now divided into apartments.
Text with upper left photo: Governor Benjamin Ogle used this land to raise some of Maryland's earliest racehorses. They were buried all around here.
Text with main photo: Shells rowed by the Naval Academy crew club pass along Spa Creek in front of the old farmhouse.
Erected by Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network, Annapolis Maritime Museum, Four Rivers Garden Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture Animals • Settlements & Settlers • Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
Location. 38° 58.156′ N, 76° 29.117′ W. Marker is in Eastport, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of Burnside Street and Bay Ridge Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Burnside Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eastport Veterans Park (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to Eastport (about 800 feet away); On to Yorktown (about 800 feet away); Lafayette’s Encampment (approx. 0.2 miles away); Arnold C. Gay (approx. ¼ mile away); A Tale of Three Bridges (approx. ¼ mile away); Eastport's Old "Main Street" (approx. ¼ mile away); The Watermen of Back Creek (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastport.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,503 times since then and 13 times this year. Last updated on April 5, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 24, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.