Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Arlington Cemetery

 
 
Arlington Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, April 10, 2021
1. Arlington Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  

Encompassing more than ten acres of land Arlington Cemetery includes within its borders several small historic graveyards, including the original old cemetery of Arlington, the W.W. McNatt Cemetery addition, the Masonic Cemetery, and the Old City Cemetery. William W. McNatt, who brought his family here from Arkansas in 1872, was a retail merchant and large scale farmer in this area. He sold the cemetery property to the Arlington Cemetery Society in 1899. Another group, the Arlington Cemetery Association, was chartered in 1923 and maintained the graveyard for many years until the City of Arlington assumed ownership and maintenance.

The oldest documented burial here is that of one-year-old Mattie Luna Cooper (1874-75), daughter of pioneer Arlington settlers J.D. and Luna A. Cooper. Numerous other early settlers also are buried here, as are veterans of conflicts from the Civil War to World War II. Local officials interred in the graveyard include seven former postmasters and the following former mayors: M.J. Brinson, George M. Finger, Emmett E. Rankin, William C. Weeks, Thomas B. Collins, T.G. Bailey, W.H. Davis, Preston F. McKee,
Arlington Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, April 10, 2021
2. Arlington Cemetery Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
William H. Rose, Will G. Hiett.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 199.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
 
Location. 32° 43.748′ N, 97° 6.17′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of South Mary Street and East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on South Mary Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 S Mary Street, Arlington TX 76010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel Neel E. Kearby (approx. half a mile away); The City of Arlington (approx. half a mile away); Arlington Post Office (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bankhead Highway Through Arlington (approx. 0.7 miles away); Carver Dixon King (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Berachah Home and Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Houston Hitching Block (approx. 0.9 miles away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
More about this marker. The 1994 Marker was replaced with a new 1994/2010 marker.
 
Regarding Arlington Cemetery. This cemetery was formed by the merger of several area cemeteries, and has burials of prominent founders and civic leaders.

Erratum:
Arlington Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, March 21, 2021
3. Arlington Cemetery and Marker
William W. McNatt is misspelled on the actual historical marker and should be Willis W, McNatt.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 135 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 1, 2022, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas.   3. submitted on April 6, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170299

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 6, 2022