Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
discovered & identified in 1903
by Samuel H. Yonge,
Designer of the sea-wall & author of
“The Site of “Olde Jamestowne,” 1607-1698.”
----- • -----
Placed by the Association
for the Preservation of
Erected 1907 by Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities.
Location. 37° 12.623′ N, 76° 46.833′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Marker is in the "Old Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial National Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Archaearium (here, next to this marker); Statehouse Foundations (a few steps from this marker); The English Inns of Court (a few steps from this marker); The Statehouse (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of Early Settlers Sealing of the Magna Carta (within shouting distance of this marker); The Site of the First Landing (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Hunt (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Jamestowne. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 15, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Historic Jamestowne. Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by APVA Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service. (Submitted on March 15, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
More. Search the internet for These Foundations.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 654 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 15, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.