Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Sealing of the Magna Carta
dedicated on June 15, 1965,
commemorates the 750th Anniversary
Sealing of Magna Carta
June 15, 1215.
Out of these roots have sprung great
liberties of man, great principles of law.
The Magna Carta Commission of Virginia
Erected 1965 by The Magna Carta Commission of Virginia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1851.
Location. 37° 12.586′ N, 76° 46.827′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Marker is in the "Old Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial National Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Site of the First Landing (here, next to this marker); In Memory of Early Settlers (a few steps from this marker); The Archaearium (within shouting distance of this marker); These Foundations The English Inns of Court (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Statehouse Foundations (about 300 feet away); The Statehouse (about 300 feet away); Robert Hunt (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Magna Carta. Transcription of the Magna Carta. (Submitted on March 15, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
2. Historic Jamestowne. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 15, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 841 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 15, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.