McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Edward Bradley, his wife Nancy, and their family came to this area from Kentucky in the 1840s as members of the Peters Colony. They built a log home of a branch of Wilson's Creek in the southwest part of present McKinney. A hillside near the Bradley home became the site of a family graveyard.
The original cemetery covered about an acre of land. Though begun as a family cemetery, other members of the small community were eventually interred here. Eleven original headstone remain in the Cemetery. There are believed to be a number of unmarked graves, as well. South of this plot a slave cemetery was located in a wooded area, the graves marked with boid d'arc wood markers.
The oldest documented grave is that of Edward Bradley (1787-1855). Nancy Bradley (d. 1880), and their son and daughter-in-law, Thomas T. (d. 1881) and Sarah J. (d. 1876) Bradley, are also buried here. Others interred in the cemetery include Dr. David Maclay (d. 1859), six-month-old William B. Pulliam (d. 1863), and Susan R. Parrish and her child, who died within months of each other in 1861.
The historic Bradley Cemetery serves as a reminder to Collin
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 485.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 33° 11.141′ N, 96° 37.398′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on Wilson Creek Parkway west of Steeple Ridge Court, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kirkpatrick House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fanny Finch Elementary School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Collin McKinney (approx. half a mile away); Governor James Webb Throckmorton (approx. half a mile away); Pecan Grove Memorial Park (approx. half a mile away); The Beverly-Harris House (approx. half a mile away); Saint Mark Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Davis House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.