Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Redford Cemetery

 
 
Redford Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 9, 2021
1. Redford Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  In 1831 Israel Bell, a Pekin Village commissioner, gave one acre of land to the village for a cemetery. Originally called Bell Branch Cemetery after the river and the settlement founded by Bell in 1818, its name was changed to Redford Cemetery after Pekin's modern name, Redford Township. Additional acreage obtained in 1840, 1854 and 1883 expanded the cemetery to ten acres, of which half is in Redford Township and half is in Detroit. A wrought iron fence was built for the cemetery in 1886 with money contributed by Redford Township citizens. Among those buried here are Israel Bell and many war veterans, including two from the Revolutionary War, and many from the War of 1812, the Civil War and World War I.
 
Erected 1988 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1317.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1831.
 
Location. 42° 24.356′ 
Redford Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 9, 2021
2. Redford Cemetery Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 83° 16.588′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Telegraph Road and Puritan Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Telegraph Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23801 Puritan Ave, Detroit MI 48223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Redford Township District No. 5 School (approx. 1.7 miles away); Redford Township School District No. 9 (approx. 2.3 miles away); Botsford Inn (approx. 3˝ miles away); Clarenceville School District / Louis E. Schmidt Auditorium (approx. 3.7 miles away); Shiawassee Indian Trail (approx. 3.7 miles away); Wallaceville School (approx. 4 miles away); Wilson Barn (approx. 4.2 miles away); Cooper School (approx. 4.6 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170549

Paid Advertisement
May. 13, 2021