The Plumb House Museum
Thursday - Saturday 10am - 4pm
Five generations of Plumbs…
The Plumb Family came to Waynesboro in 1837 to open a tavern. Five generations lived in the house until 1994 when Mrs. Lois Plumb went to live with her daughter. Her husband, known as "Happy" Plumb, was known for his collection of butterflies and Native American artifacts which are part of the permanent collection at the Plumb House Museum. The house was purchased by the City of Waynesboro in 1994 and is managed and maintained by the Waynesboro Heritage Foundation, Inc. The house, which is a registered Virginia Historic Landmark and is listed in the National Registry of Historic Places, is slowly being restored to it's post Civil War time period. It hosts the annual reenactment of the Battle of Waynesboro as well as other historic and educational events.
The Plumb House…
Was built in 1802 and 1804, during the time of Thomas Jefferson's presidency.
Was caught in the middle of the Civil War Battle of Waynesboro on March 2, 1865.
Is the oldest frame dwelling in Waynesboro.
Was occupied by five generations of the Plumb family.
Is one block from the old Presbyterian
Is home to a diverse collection of Civil War and Native American artifacts.
Erected by Waynesboro Heritage Foundation, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is March 2, 1865.
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 38° 4.192′ N, 78° 53.734′ W. Marker was in Waynesboro, Virginia. Marker was on West Main Street (U.S. 340) just east of New Hope Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 1012 W Main St, Waynesboro VA 22980, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Plumb House (here, next to this marker); Wooden Water Pipe (a few steps from this marker); Fishburne Military School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waynesboro (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early’s Last Battle (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Waynesboro (approx. half a mile away); W. J. Loth (approx. half a mile away); River Crossings & Bridges (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waynesboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2021, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. 2. submitted on April 10, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.