First Public School in Michigan
During 1828 the district built a log schoolhouse on land deeded to them by George Sorter. They named it after nearby Bruckner Bridge, newly completed across the River Raisin.
A larger structure built entirely of walnut replaced the log house in 1832,. The present brick building was erected in 1868 and added to in 1910. It served as a school continuously until 1950 after its consolidation with Dundee Community Schools.
In 1957, the Dundee School Board deeded the property to Monroe County Historical Society.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 41° 57.654′ N, 83° 32.916′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Ida Maybee Road and Dixon Road on Ida Maybee
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peter Seitz Tavern & Stagecoach Inn (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ida Village / Ida Township (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Railroad Well (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post (approx. 4.8 miles away); a different marker also named Navarre - Anderson Trading Post (approx. 4.8 miles away); Edward D. Ellis (approx. 4.9 miles away); Exeter Township Hall (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old Mill Museum (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 11, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.