Springfield in Greene County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Red's Giant Hamburg
The business's name was supposed to be "Red's Giant Hamburger," but owner Sheldon "Red" Chaney mis-measured the special-ordered T-shaped sign. So, with his newly purchased sign too tall to fit, he simply had the bottom of the metal sign cut off. Thus he removed the "er" in the word "hamburger," creating a business legend.
Red and his wife Julia served their giant hamburgs and homemade root beer from 1947 until they retired in 1984. The restaurant was torn down in 1997.
In 2013, the City of Springfield raised $15,000 through a crowd-sourcing campaign to recreate Red's legendary sign.
Erected by City of Springfield.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the U.S. Route 66 🛣️ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1947.
Location. 37° 12.525′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 W College St, Springfield MO 65806, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Cabin in Springfield (within shouting distance of this marker); Zagonyi's Charge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Springfield (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Springfield (approx. 0.6 miles away); First School-House in Greene County (approx. 0.7 miles away); Yellow Bonnet Girl (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Springfield (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Springfield (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Also see . . . Red's Giant Hamburg on Wikipedia. Originally a motor court with a filling station, the restaurant was added in 1947 (as stated on the marker). The station and motor court would eventually be gone as business focused on the restaurant. Red passed away a few days after the place was demolished. (Submitted on April 12, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.