Smyrna in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Marked Burial
Elijah H. Fleming
— Sept. 25, 1802 - April 8, 1848 —
There may have been burials in this cemetery prior to 1848, however, this grave is the earliest one with an engraved headstone which shows a date. His daughter Mary, who died at approximately 17 years of age on March 14, 1858, is the second earliest grave with a marked headstone. Unfortunately many graves are marked with only field stones, and some are not marked at all.
No official records have been found to indicate who purchased the lots or the names of people buried here. Sarah Gober Temple and Franklin Garrett recorded the cemetery in the 1930’s and Harold & Betty Smith recorded it in 1982 and again in 1989 for the Smyrna Historical and Genealogical Society.
Erected by The Smyrna Cemetery Association.
Location. 33° 52.995′ N, 84° 30.901′ W. Marker is in Smyrna, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Memorial Place 0 miles south of Atlanta Road SE (Georgia Route 3), on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in the Smyrna Memorial Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Smyrna GA 30080, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smyrna’s First Mayor (a few steps from this marker); Mazie Whitfield Nelson (a few steps from this marker); Smyrna Memorial Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Smyrna (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hood's Corps at Battle of Ruff's Mill (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Alexander Eaton House: Hood’s H'dq'rs. (approx. 1.8 miles away); 23D Army Corps to Soap Creek (was approx. 2.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Hargrove House (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smyrna.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
More. Search the internet for First Marked Burial.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 817 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?