Smyrna in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mazie Whitfield Nelson
Jan. 1, 1890 - Feb. 2, 1977
From her birth home just across the railroad track on Gilbert Street, Mazie Whitfield Nelson watched the growth of downtown Smyrna from a village of less than 400 when she was born on New Year’s Day in 1890, to a community of over 20,000 when she died. In her youth, downtown flourished as the commercial center of an agricultural economy. From 1905 to 1945 it was served
by the Atlanta Northern Railway electric streetcar. Her self-published recollections, "Past Present and Future" chronicled significant events in the town’s life, including tragedies and experiences like the arrival of the first car. She was a school teacher, insurance saleswoman and the town librarian. The archway over the entrance to this cemetery was funded by contributions she collected.
Erected by The Smyrna Cemetery Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 33° 53.007′ N, 84° 30.897′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Smyrna GA 30080, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smyrna’s First Mayor (here, next to this marker); First Marked Burial (a few steps from this marker); Smyrna Memorial Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Smyrna (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hood's Corps at Battle of Ruff's Mill (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Alexander Eaton House: Hood’s H'dq'rs. (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Hargrove House (approx. 2.4 miles away); The 4th Corps at Vining’s Station (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smyrna.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 920 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?