Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Nacogdoches University Building

 
 
Old Nacogdoches University Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 10, 2021
1. Old Nacogdoches University Building Marker
Inscription.  The Republic of Texas chartered Nacogdoches University in 1845 to fulfill East Texas settlers’ ideals for higher education. The University occupied various downtown buildings before this building was completed in time for classes in fall 1859. Local citizens underwrote the project with donations of money, materials, land, labor and foodstuffs. During the Civil War the structure served as a Confederate hospital and functioned as a headquarters for a Federal regiment during Reconstruction. The building served the University until deeded to the Nacogdoches Independent School District in 1904. It continued as an educational facility until the 1960s when its care and use became the charge of the Nacogdoches Historical Society and later the Federation of Women’s Clubs. After restoration, the structure became available for community functions and now houses a small museum dedicated to education in Nacogdoches.

The temple style of the building is a fine example of Greek Revival Classicism of the early and mid-19th century. The original contractor was John H. Cato, with the work completed by J. H. Muckleroy at a cost of $10,500. The two-story
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
loadbearing masonry building features common bond red brick made on-site with local clay. The rectangular floor plan features narrow four-over-four windows on both floors, with three bays at the entrance and six bays along each side divided by brick pilasters. The prominent portico is composed of massive Doric style columns on plinth blocks, a broad entablature, and a deeply recessed pediment. The main entrance has solid paneled doors with a tall transom and sidelights. The gabled roof is topped by an octagonal frame copula with a bell roof capped by a carved finial.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1962

 
Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9299.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
 
Location. 31° 36.411′ N, 94° 39.098′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker can be reached from North Mound Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 North Mound Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nacogdoches University (a few steps from this marker); Washington Square (a few steps from this marker); Old Nacogdoches University (within shouting distance of this marker);
Old Nacogdoches University Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 10, 2021
2. Old Nacogdoches University Building Marker
Rear of the marker is visible in this photo.
Ancient Mound (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Washington Square (about 500 feet away); Site of the home of Charles S. Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Fredonia Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Welcome to Durst-Taylor Historic House and Gardens (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
 
Also see . . .  Nacogdoches University - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on April 13, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
Old Nacogdoches University Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, April 10, 2021
3. Old Nacogdoches University Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170912

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024