Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Original Location of Sacred Heart Catholic Church

 
 
Original Location of Sacred Heart Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 10, 2021
1. Original Location of Sacred Heart Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  The Catholic Church's history has been intertwined with that of Nacogdoches since the first Spanish missions were constructed in the area during the early eighteenth century. Disruptions in the church's activities occurred 1719-1721 during French incursions into Texas, from 1773 until 1779 when the Spanish abandoned Nacogdoches, and from the beginnings of the Texas Revolution in 1834 until 1847, after Texas was admitted into the United States.

When the church created the Diocese of Galveston in 1847, the first Bishop, Jean Marie Odin, upgraded Nacogdoches from mission to parish status. The creation of the parish marked the official establishment of Sacred Heart Catholic Church. French priest Father Louis Chambodut was appointed as the first pastor of the newly formed parish. In its earliest days, the Sacred Heart Parish encompassed an area from the Sabine River to the Red River, and west to Dallas, until the formation of other parishes during the next four decades.

In 1847, Sacred Heart Parish built a 50' X 26' frame church building on the east side of Elm (later Pecan) Street, between Main and Hospital streets. As needs
Original Location of Sacred Heart Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 10, 2021
2. Original Location of Sacred Heart Catholic Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
changed, several additions were made to the original structure, including a belfry and rectory. This central location, in the heart of Nacogdoches, served the parish until the 1930s. The congregation moved to a larger home on North Street at the corner of Mimms Avenue in 1936, and later to a third location on Appleby Sand Road in 1992. The 1847 church structure, removed from its original site and relocated several times, was finally placed at the church's current site for restoration.
 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16002.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 31° 36.247′ N, 94° 39.282′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is on North Pecan Street north of East Main Street (State Highway 21), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nacogdoches TX 75963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Daily Sentinel (within shouting distance of this marker); Milam Lodge #2, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the home of James Dill (about
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Thomas F. McKinney (about 300 feet away); Thomas Jefferson Rusk (about 300 feet away); Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office (about 400 feet away); The Nine Flags of Nacogdoches (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170917

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021