Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Diedrich Anton Wilhelm Rulfs

 
 
Diedrich Anton Wilhelm Rulfs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 10, 2021
1. Diedrich Anton Wilhelm Rulfs Marker
Inscription.  Master architect Diedrich Rulfs was born in 1848 in Stollham in the German Province of Oldenburg to Helene (Stindt) and Gerhard Rulfs; his father was a carpenter. After Diedrich married Johanne Emilie Böschen in 1873, he became an apprentice in the building guild at Oldenburg, designing several homes there and also helping design the parish church at Stollham. After Johanne’s father died, Diedrich, Johanne, their three sons, and Johanne’s mother and younger brother emigrated to the United States aboard the steamship Nurnburg, arriving at New Orleans in November 1880. They proceeded by steamboat to Jefferson and by wagon to Nacogdoches, where Johanne’s brother William Böschen had already settled.

Northern German architectural styles exist in many of Rulfs’ works in Nacogdoches: the corner tower of the Roland Jones house (1896) is taken from the Ducal palace in Oldenburg, and Christ Episcopal Church (1901) and Zion Hill Baptist Church (1914) include elements of the Atens (Germany) Church where Diedrich and Johanne married. Rulfs’ commercial buildings dominated the downtown area and include: Opera House (1889), Liberty Hotel (1891),
Diedrich Anton Wilhelm Rulfs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 10, 2021
2. Diedrich Anton Wilhelm Rulfs Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Cotton Exchange (1898), Redland Hotel (1906) and Mayer-Schmidt building (1908). His domestic structures and churches lined Washington Square, Virginia Avenue, Main and North Streets; extant examples include the Hardeman (1892), Perkins (1900), Hayter (1913), Cason (1914) and Blount (1923) houses. Rulfs’ eclectic architectural influences included Gothic, Greek Revival and Italian styles. Rulfs died in 1926 and is buried at Oak Grove Cemetery.
 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14540.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1880.
 
Location. 31° 36.247′ N, 94° 39.174′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is at the intersection of East Hospital Street and North Church Street, on the right when traveling east on East Hospital Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 141 North Church Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Roland Jones House (a few steps from this marker); Milam Lodge #2, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Texas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Daily Sentinel (about 400 feet away); Site of the Home of Antonio Gil y Barbo (about 500 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 600 feet away); Original Location of Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Site of "Old Soledad" (about 600 feet away); Washington Square (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171024

Paid Advertisement
May. 13, 2021