Near Afton in Ottawa County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
U.S. 66 Will Rogers Highway
— Chicago to Los Angeles —
Rt. 66 was paved piecemeal from 1926-1937. Since the Miami-to-Afton section was paved, it became the last segment upgraded to the standards established in 1930. It was also realigned and included a new bridge on the Neosho River.
On Sept. 13, 1937, the opening of the bridge completed the last segment of Rt. 66 paving in Oklahoma. The "Sidewalk Highway" thus became one of the early stretches of Mother Road paving to be bypassed an today is the only Rt. 66 roadway of its type in existence.
"Columbus discovered a new World, but the old Tin Lizzie has made us discover America"
Erected 2010 by Oklahoma Route 66 Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & VehiclesU.S. Route 66 🛣️ series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 13, 1937.
Location. 36° 41.983′ N, 94° 56.734′ W. Marker is near Afton, Oklahoma, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of South 520 Road and E 220 Road, on the left when traveling south on South 520 Road. Marker is on a roadside pullout that is seen and accessible from U.S. Highways 60/69. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21875 S 520 Rd, Afton OK 74331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eagle (D-X) Service Station, Afton, Oklahoma (approx. one mile away); Historic Route 66 Ribbon Road - Sidewalk Highway (approx. 8.1 miles away); Rolston Memorial (approx. 8.2 miles away); Grand River Dam (approx. 9.4 miles away); Gateway Sign (approx. 12˝ miles away); Miami Trust and Savings Bank Clock (approx. 12.7 miles away); Hadley Building (approx. 12.7 miles away); Miami, Oklahoma (approx. 12.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 24 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.