Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Colonel Oliver Johnson's Home
One of the rare Federal era homes left in Michigan, it was modified about 1869 by adding Carpenter-Gothic gables and high roof.
Monroe county Historical Society and the City of Monroe moved it, October 1977, from the site of the new City Hall to this location.
Generous donations and adaptation to public use have made possible its preservation.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1823.
Location. 41° 54.925′ N, 83° 23.992′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of West Second Street and Cass Street, on the right when traveling west on West Second Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 W Second St, Monroe MI 48161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Monroe's Soldiers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historical Museum (about 300 feet away); Editor Ellis, 1825 (about 400 feet away); St. Paul's United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Boyd School (about 500 feet away); Old Michigan Southern (about 500 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); Doctor Eduard Dorsch (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.