Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Detroit Archdiocese acquired the property in 1885 for a boys' college preparatory school. Within four years the Sisters of St. Joseph began its operation as St. Francis Orphanage for Boys, serving until 1908 when Monroe Public Schools purchased it as the site for a new High School.
In 1912, Monroe's students occupied "the only absolutely fireproof school in Michigan" until a larger High School was built elsewhere.
From 1928 to 1970 the building served as Boyd Elementary School. It was demolished in 1971.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 41° 54.884′ N, 83° 24.083′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of West 3rd Street and Cass Street, on the left when traveling west on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 W 3rd St, Monroe MI 48161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel Oliver Johnson's Home (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); St. Paul's United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Historical Museum (about 700 feet away); Monroe's Soldiers (about 700 feet away); Old Michigan Southern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Editor Ellis, 1825 (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John the Baptist Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Also see . . . Monroe Young Ladies’ Seminary was popular school. Excerpt:
Since boarding schools for girls from wealthy, cultured families were still a rarity in the U.S. prior to the Civil War, Boyd’s Young Ladies’ Seminary became well known.(Submitted on April 15, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.