Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
University of Michigan 1838
In 1840, the female branch was discontinued. Suspension of University funds closed the school until 1844. Monroe then assumed complete financial responsibility with University sanction.
Principals of the branch were Reverend Samuel Center, Ira Mayhew, and Charles Alexander Clark, grandson of Dr. Robert Clark, first register of the Monroe Land Office. Mr. Clark held this position until the school was permanently closed in 1849.
The present building was erected as a public school in 1898 and so maintained until it was abandoned for school purposes in 1928 and given to the City by the Board of Education. It was remodeled to house city offices and so occupied in April, 1930.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is February 19, 1838.
Location. 41° 54.828′ N, 83° 23.792′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of South Macomb Street and East 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on South Macomb Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 S Macomb St, Monroe MI 48161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph Loranger 1817 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boy Scouts in Monroe County / The Armory Opera House (about 400 feet away); Monroe County Since 1817 (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Old Whipping Post (about 500 feet away); Doctor Eduard Dorsch (about 600 feet away); Trinity Lutheran Church (about 600 feet away); St. Paul's United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.