Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grove City in Mercer County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Grove City National Boys and Girls Purebred Calf Club

 
 
Grove City National Boys and Girls Purebred Calf Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 10, 2021
1. Grove City National Boys and Girls Purebred Calf Club Marker
Inscription.  

C.G. Harshaw arranged for the Commercial Club to buy 250 acres of land near town, now Memorial Park, for the use of the Grove City National Boys and Girls Purebred Calf Club. The entire community picnicked at the first Cattle Show in 1920. The last show in the park was in 1928.

 
Erected by the Borough of Grove City and the Burdick Family.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsCharity & Public WorkEducationParks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
 
Location. 41° 9.602′ N, 80° 5.192′ W. Marker is in Grove City, Pennsylvania, in Mercer County. Marker is on Broad Street (Pennsylvania Route 208) north of Pine Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 151 South Broad Street, Grove City PA 16127, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beginnings of Radio in Grove City (here, next to this marker); History of Burdicks Men’s Clothing Store (here, next to this marker); "Here's Howe" (a few steps from this marker); "The Voice of Grove City"
Grove City National Boys and Girls Purebred Calf Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 10, 2021
2. Grove City National Boys and Girls Purebred Calf Club Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); Pine Grove Normal Academy (a few steps from this marker); Susan Eccles O'Kane (a few steps from this marker); Incorporation of Grove City Borough (within shouting distance of this marker); Margaret Simpson Guinnip (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grove City.
 
More about this marker. Marker is on one in a series of low sandstone obelisks along South Broad Street (the downtown commercial district) with markers on three sides and a cast Borough of Grove City emblem on the fourth side (facing the street).
 
Also see . . .
1. "Community Development in Dairying" in Report of the Secretary of Agriculture (USDA, p.83). (Submitted on April 15, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The History of Grove City PA. (Submitted on April 15, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171116

Paid Advertisement
May. 12, 2021