Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near El Reno in Canadian County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Reno Commissary 1885 & 1886

 
 
Fort Reno Commissary 1885 & 1886 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 9, 2021
1. Fort Reno Commissary 1885 & 1886 Marker
Inscription.  The Fort Reno Commissary is a 234-foot-long, 16,300 square foot building. It was constructed in three parts. The center section was built in 1885. The north and south sections were added in 1886. Supply trains and freight wagons brought food and clothing to the commissary.

The commissary served as the fort's grocery and supply store. A spur of the Chisholm Trail runs behind the Commissary.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
 
Location. 35° 33.746′ N, 98° 2.161′ W. Marker is near El Reno, Oklahoma, in Canadian County. Marker is located at Historic Fort Reno site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7107 West Cheyenne Street, El Reno OK 73036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guard House/Post Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hospital/USDA ARS Grazinglands Research Laboratory Administration Building (about 300 feet away); Chapel (about 600 feet away); Adjutant Office (about 700 feet away); School and Chapel/Home of Ben & Moka Clark
Fort Reno Commissary 1885 & 1886 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 9, 2021
2. Fort Reno Commissary 1885 & 1886 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 700 feet away); Fort Reno (about 700 feet away); Commanding Officer's Quarters/BlueSTEM AgriLearning Center (about 800 feet away); 1876 Officers' Quarters (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Reno.
 
Regarding Fort Reno Commissary 1885 & 1886. The Historic Fort Reno site entrance is located off the intersection of old Highway 66 and Business Route 40/OK-66, on Old Highway 66. The actual site with the structures and Visitors Center is 1.5 miles north of the entrance. Please keep in mind that the gates are open for a limited time every day, and they are closed at 4:30pm.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Fort Reno. Official website. Contains lots of history and photos. Fort Reno is a historic military post established in 1874 to protect the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes. It would later become an agricultural research station, and a German prisoner of war camp during World War II. The site has a visitors center, a walking tour, cemetery, and holds events throughout the year. (Submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
Fort Reno entrance image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 9, 2021
3. Fort Reno entrance
Located off the intersection of Old Highway 66 and Business Route 40 (and not too far from I-40). Please keep in mind that the gates close at 4:30pm every day.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171125

Paid Advertisement
May. 17, 2021