Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near El Reno in Canadian County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Guard House/Post Office

 
 
Guard House/Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 9, 2021
1. Guard House/Post Office Marker
Inscription.  The Guard House, also known as a jail, was constructed in 1888 of native stone from a quarry located about 6 miles west of here. Many windows still have the bolts imbedded where iron bars were held in place. An annex was added to the west side of the structure at the turn of the 20th century to serve as a post office. This facility housed David Payne and his Boomers who were often arrested by Fort Reno soldiers and Cheyenne and Arapaho Indian scouts for establishing settlements in the Unassigned Lands.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureNative Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
 
Location. 35° 33.784′ N, 98° 2.128′ W. Marker is near El Reno, Oklahoma, in Canadian County. Marker is located at Historic Fort Reno site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7107 West Cheyenne Street, El Reno OK 73036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Reno Commissary 1885 & 1886 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chapel (about 400 feet away); Adjutant Office (about 500 feet away); Hospital/USDA ARS Grazinglands Research Laboratory Administration Building
Guard House/Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 9, 2021
2. Guard House/Post Office Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 500 feet away); Victorian (about 700 feet away); Commanding Officer's Quarters/BlueSTEM AgriLearning Center (about 700 feet away); Fort Reno (about 800 feet away); 1876 Officers' Quarters (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Reno.
 
Regarding Guard House/Post Office. The Historic Fort Reno site entrance is located off the intersection of old Highway 66 and Business Route 40/OK-66, on Old Highway 66. The actual site with the structures and Visitors Center is 1.5 miles north of the entrance. Please keep in mind that the gates are open for a limited time every day, and they are closed at 4:30pm.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Fort Reno. Official website. Contains lots of history and photos. Fort Reno is a historic military post established in 1874 to protect the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes. It would later become an agricultural research station, and a German prisoner of war camp during World War II. The site has a visitors center, a walking tour, cemetery, and holds events throughout the year. (Submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171127

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021