Clinton in Custer County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Route 66 Diner
In order to pay the $5,000 that these diners sold for, the owners were to place 10% of their daily gross income in a lock box which was situated by the front door of the diner. Each month a man from the train would come by, open the box, and send the payment to the manufacturer. The trainman was the only person that had a key to that lock box.
This diner was opened for business on Route 66 in 1956 at Shamrock, TX by M.L. Porter and his wife, Alta, and was known as the Porter House Café. It was closed in 1964.
Erected 2003 by Friends of Oklahoma Route 66 Museum,
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the U.S. Route 66 🛣️ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1938.
Location. 35° 30.366′ N, 98° 59.221′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Oklahoma, in Custer County. Marker is on West Gary Boulevard (Business Interstate 40) west of South Modelle Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located outside the Oklahoma Route 66 Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2229 W Gary Blvd, Clinton OK 73601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oklahoma Route 66 Museum, Clinton, Oklahoma (a few steps from this marker); 1948 Dodge Fuel Truck (a few steps from this marker); U.S. 66 (within shouting distance of this marker).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. 3. submitted on April 11, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.