Edmond in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
National Guard Armory
Regimental Headquarters Company 179th Infantry, 45th Division mobilized here for World War II on Sept. 16, 1940 and the Korean War on Sept. 1, 1950. Building became property of the City of Edmond in 1972 and used as a facility for the Parks and Recreation Department.
In 1983 renovated to a Community Center and Museum by the Edmond Historic Preservation Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • War, Korean • War, World II. A significant historical date for this entry is September 16, 1940.
Location. 35° 39.009′ N, 97° 28.704′ W. Marker is in Edmond, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker is on South Boulevard north of East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located outside the Edmond Historical Society & Museum, which is part of Stephenson Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 431 S Blvd, Edmond OK 73034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stephenson Park (within shouting distance Central State College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edmond Public School 1889 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Statue of Liberty Replica (approx. 0.2 miles away); Classen's Grove (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shannon Miller Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edmond Station, Indian Territory (approx. 0.4 miles away); Leaping Into History (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edmond.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.