Edmond in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Fred M. Stephenson (1870-1947) was unanimously named City Manager by the City Council in October, 1931. Both a municipal tennis court and a croquet court were completed here in 1932. In 1934, the stone entrance at the northwest corner of the park was constructed through the Works Progress Administration. In the ravine in the center of the park, an extensive rock garden was built. Flower gardens, trees, and shrubs were planted, and the park was thought to be one of the most beautiful in the state at the time.
Erected by Edmond Historical Society and Edmond Parks Foundation Incorporated.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 35° 39.022′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 431 S Blvd, Edmond OK 73034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. National Guard Armory (within shouting distance of this marker); Central State College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edmond Public School 1889 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Statue of Liberty Replica (approx. 0.2 miles away); Classen's Grove (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shannon Miller Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edmond Station, Indian Territory (approx. 0.4 miles away); Leaping Into History (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edmond.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.