Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Kingston in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Story of Old Hardin Bridge

 
 
The Story of Old Hardin Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 11, 2021
1. The Story of Old Hardin Bridge Marker
Inscription.  During the Civil War, Gillam's bridge at this location played a pivotal role in the advance of Union troops south toward Atlanta. After the Civil War and the destruction of the bridge, a ferry operated at this site transporting people and goods across the river in the late 1800s. In 1886, George P. Thomas of Atlanta was awarded a contract to construct a bridge to replace the ferry at a cost of $4,480. The bridge was a wood plank two-span through iron truss bridge. The bridge was rebuilt by the Austin Brothers Bridge Company in 1930. It received further rehabilitation in 1950 and was used until it closed in 2007 when it was deemed unsafe for further use. A new concrete bridge was completed in 2011, and the old iron bridge was removed in 2015, with the exception of the remaining stone support piers left standing on the shore and in the river. The road and bridge were named for Colonel William Hardin. During the early to mid-1800s, Hardin was a landowner in several Georgia counties, and was active in the 7th Division Georgia Militia, as well as political and business circles, before building a home near this site in 1847. He lived here until his
The Story of Old Hardin Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 11, 2021
2. The Story of Old Hardin Bridge Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
death in 1854.

Caption: Hardin Bridge as it appeared before being dismantled following its permanent closure in 2007. Photo by Eddie Douthit
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 34° 11.291′ N, 84° 55.549′ W. Marker is near Kingston, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is on Hardin Bridge Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is in Etowah River Water Trail at Old Hardin Bridge Landing park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 556 Hardin Bridge Road, Kingston GA 30145, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Black Pioneers Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Milam's Bridge (approx. 3 miles away); Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 3.1 miles away); Melvinia Shields (approx. 3.2 miles away); Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 3.2 miles away); Old Macedonia Church Organized 1847 (approx. 3.2 miles away); Surrender of Confederate Troops (approx. 3.4 miles away); Kingston Methodist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
 
The Story of Old Hardin Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 11, 2021
3. The Story of Old Hardin Bridge Marker
One of the stone piers from the old bridge. The current bridge is visible in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171179

Paid Advertisement
May. 11, 2021