Courthouse Clocktower Bell
The metal for the bell was obtained by breaking up an old brass cannon found sitting at a foundry in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The old field piece was made in Strassburg, Germany and dated 1502, it had been used in the Napoleonic wars seeing service in Italy, Egypt, Spain, Austria and Germany and had been dragged over the alps on its way to Moscow.
The cannon was returned to France then to the United States by the old soldier who had used it in all the Napoleonic Wars.
Adam Wilhelm, county commissioner obtained the bell, having witnessed the breaking up of the old cannon.
Plaque donated by the Defiance Tourism Bureau, 1996
Erected 1996 by Defiance Tourism Bureau.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 41° 17.203′ N, 84° 21.698′ W. Marker is in Defiance, Ohio, in Defiance County. Marker is on W. 2nd Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Defiance OH 43512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 17, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.