The View From Here
During the great age of sail when shipping in the area flourished during the mid-1800s, wooden hulled schooners rounded this rocky tip of Marblehead Peninsula on their way to and from the bustling Port of Sandusky Bay, carrying limestone and lime, fish, apples, nails and most any other merchandise that could be shipped in a barrel. Until 1870, the Marblehead Lighthouse was known as the Sandusky Bay Light.
By the early 1900s steamboats had replaced the schooners, but the lighthouse continued to serve as an important navigational aid for decades. In more recent times, the Sandusky port has been used to load coal from southeast Ohio railcars to Great Lakes vessels. Modern electronic navigational aids have greatly reduced the importance of the lighthouse for commercial vessels. But the Marblehead Lighthouse continues to serve as an important visual reference for the many pleasure craft that frequent this popular resort area and warns boaters from the rocks as it has done for nearly two centuries.
As you face east, the popular amusement park, Cedar Point, is visible opposite Mosely Channel, a north-south shipping route for lake freighters
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 41° 32.169′ N, 82° 42.705′ W. Marker is in Marblehead, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is on Lighthouse Drive 0.1 miles east of Ohio Route 163, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 Lighthouse Dr, Lakeside Marblehead OH 43440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Erie (within shouting distance of this marker); Marblehead Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The View From Here (within shouting distance of this marker); The Light / The Keepers of the Light (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Johnson's Island (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Fire of October 20, 1929 / The Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association (approx. 2 miles away); Hoover Potato Digger & Lakeside (approx. 2 miles away); Danbury Township World War Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marblehead.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.