In 1749 at the age of 17, George Washington received a commission from the College of William & Mary to become Surveyor for the newly formed Culpeper County, his first surveying job.
He is shown here with a "circumferentor", a surveying compass with perpendicular sights attached to a tripod.
Erected 2017 by Mullany Art Studios for Culpeper Renaissance, Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Education • Exploration • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1749.
Location. 38° 28.44′ N, 77° 59.761′ W. Marker is in Culpeper, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is at the intersection of West Cameron Street and North Main Street (U.S. 522), on the left when traveling west on West Cameron Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 154 N Main St, Culpeper VA 22701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gallant Pelham (within shouting distance of this marker); “Gallant” Pelham’s Last Days
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.