The Marker Honors The Memory Of The Second Germanna Colony, 1717
Twenty German families from the Upper Rhine Valley mostly Lutherans settled near this site in 1717, and were promptly followed by others some of them, indebted to Governor Spotswood for money he had advanced for their passage discharged the debt by assisting in the operation of his iron mines. About 1725 they removed farther up to the lands acquired by grant in the Robinson River section of Madison County. Here in 1740 near White Oak Run, they built Hebron Lutheran Church, which still stands, a monument to their devotion and Christian character.
Heads of Immigrant Families
Balthaster Blankenbaker Matthias Blankenbaker Nicolas Blankenbaker John Broyles John Carpenter (1721) William Carpenter (1721) Michael Clore Michael Cook Zerechias Fleshman John Harnsberger Christopher Zimmerman Phillip Joseph Weaver Johann Michael Wilhoit Christopher Barlow Michael Kaifer Andrew Kerker George Moyer John Motz George Sheible Mathew Smith Michael Smith Henry Snyder George Utz Nicholas Yager Michael Holtz Jacob Crigler Conrad Amberger
Erected 1961 by James Carlton Clore, in honor of his parents Mary Frances Yowell and James Clevelan Clore, Descendant of Michael Clore.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1717.
Location. 38° 22.641′ N, 77° 47.032′ W. Marker is in Locust Grove, Virginia, in Orange County. Marker can be reached from College Road (Virginia Route 375) 0.3 miles west of Germanna Highway (Virginia Route 3), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2062 Germanna Hwy, Locust Grove VA 22508, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hans Jacob Holtzclaw of Trupbach, Germany (here, next to this marker); Johannes Kemper and Ailsey Katherine Utterback (here, next to this marker); Site of the First German Reformed Church (here, next to this marker); Spotswood (here, next to this marker); Giuseppe Oddenino (a few steps from this marker); Hans Conrad Amberger (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexander Spotswood's Enchanted Castle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Germanna Visitor Center (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Locust Grove.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on April 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.