Bedias in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Bedias
Named for North and South Bedias creeks, which in turn were named for the Bidai Indians, an agricultural people reputed to have been the oldest inhabitants of the area. "Bidai" means "brushwood", which may refer to the building material used in their dwellings.
The first white settlement in this vicinity was founded 1835 by Thomas P. Plaster, and for a while it was called Plasterville. In 1903, the community of "Old" Bedias surrendered most of its population to "New" Bedias after a branch of the International & Great Northern Railroad was built to the northeast.
Townspeople from Pankey and Cotton also moved here. The name "Bedias" was retained, but only after a heated struggle in which determined citizens refused to have the town named for a railroad official.
A famous, early resident of the Bedias area was Sarah Dodson, who in 1835 made the first "Lone Star" flag in Texas. She lived here from 1844 to 1848 and is buried in Old Bethel Cemetery, seven miles west.
One of the most unique features of this region is the large number of Tektites (also called "Bediasites") found here. These are beautiful, glassy,
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8564.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 30° 46.527′ N, 95° 56.913′ W. Marker is in Bedias, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Farm to Market Road 1696) and West Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. The marker is located in front of the Bedias Civic Center by the road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3652 Main Street, Bedias TX 77831, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bedias First Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Zion Cemetery (approx. 8½ miles away); Katy Holland McDowell Treadwell Cobb (approx. 8½ miles away); Jozye Church and Cemetery (approx. 8½ miles away); Site of Bullard Community (approx. 9.6 miles away); Wilson Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 11.9 miles away); Jubal Richard Parten (approx. 12.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Madisonville (approx. 12.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.